UOACZ: i.e. UOACZombies

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Luthius, Aug 24, 2015.

1. Luthius

Luthius Guest

UOACZ(ombies)

Hey folks!

Zombies are making a return to UOAC finally!

IPY2's and UOAC1's Zombie events were a pretty big hit, and I feel it's only fair that we step up our game for UOAC2 and do something a bit new and big with them. So this project has been in the pipeline for a while but I've finally been able to get some serious work done on it lately, and it's in a pretty testable spot right now. While there's still some work to be done, we'll look at getting some player testing on it very, very shortly and out to you guys pretty soon here.

The Concept

UOACZ is going to be a re-occuring event that will fire off on the weekends every 1 or 2 weeks and will last for several hours. We'll be testing and tweaking the settings on it, but I'm thinking each UOACZ "session" will last somewhere between 6-12 hours.

Anyone can join into a UOAC session, and new players as well as veterans will be on nearly the same footing for the UOACZ system: ideally we'd love to have players who even haven't played UO before hopping in and giving the system a try as well as players who normally don't play here.

UOACZ Profiles: Human and Undead

Each UOAC account will automatically have a UOACZ Profile attached to it that is shared by all characters on the account. Additionally, each UOACZ Profile has info for both a Human Profile and an Undead Profile stored on it. These are the stats, skills, abilities you'll use when you enter the UOACZ world as a human or the stuff you'll utilize when you get converted to an undead player.

Because all UOACZ data is shared across your account, if you enter the UOACZ world with one character on your account, log out, and then hop into the UOACZ world with a different character on that account, you'll have the exact same stats, skills, abilities, and even gear on that new character as you had on the previous one. You don't need to make a character for the UOACZ system at all: just hop into the system on any character on your account that you want (it will display that character's name in the game world though).

Even before the next UOACZ sessions starts you'll be able to look at your Human and Undead profile's stats/skills/abilities unlocked for them by opening a blessed (and free) Survival and Corruption Tome in the normal game world. You'll even be able to premptively make some upgrade purchases and spent the 5 Freebie Human Upgrade and 5 Undead Upgrade points you are given each session and start to plan out what type of Human and Undead character you'll be aiming for in the next upcoming UOACZ session.

Survival/Corruption Stones and Upgrades
    After each UOACZ ends your Human and Undead profile (stats/skills/abilities) are reset back to the starting values for both, and players are reset to 5 Freebie Human Upgrade and 5 Freebie Undead Upgrade points. Players are also reset to 5 Survival Points and 5 Corruption Points (these are used to shuffle the upgrades currently available to the player and are explained in the video).

Human and Undead upgrade points are only acquirable while inside the UOACZ world, but players will however be able to earn some Survival and Corruption points while both in UOACZ world as well as in the normal game world via finding Survival and Corruption Stone loot items on monsters. These stones drop similar to skill scrolls in that they are bound to particular player.

These survival / corruption stones will give players a little more flexibility to create exactly the type of character they want (by being able to shuffle upgrades more) but they aren't enough to make them have a significant advantage over players who don't preemptively acquire them. It just lets you get a bit more customization in what type of character you end up making.

Players earn Upgrade Points in both Human and Undead form while in that form in the UOACZ world every 20 minutes. Additionally, upgrade "tokens" will drop in the UOACZ world as loot on creatures, albeit in somewhat rare fashion.

Gameplay Details
    I won't go into too much detail about the gameplay here, as I could go on for quite a while, but check out the video so see some of the basic mechanics in effect.

For Humans, there are currently 30 different Upgrade Packages available with over 20 different Abilities acquireable. For Undead, there are 35 different Undead Forms with over 40 different Abiilities usable across those forms. Players can acquire these upgrades multiple times and collecting particular abilities multiple times will reduce their cooldowns as well. There's an incredible amount of variety possible for players to make custom Human templates as well as trying out a dizzying array of Undead character types to change your gameplay experience.

For Humans, the crafting tables have been completely redone and rescaled to match the skill system, and I've added a ton of custom items to use and try out, including a ton of cooking recipes to utilize the Thirst / Hunger System. If you're played the game "Don't Starve" you'll feel right at home here when it comes to being a player trying to survive in a harsh world. And if you're a fan of tower defense games, you'll also be at home here as well.

Additional Gameplay Mechanics
    I made the video for this at 4am in the morning and it was getting pretty long (70+ minutes) so I left out a bunch of gameplay mechanics, so I'll be posting videos for those soon here, but I'll point out a few of them here.

Human NPCs / The Stockpile
    Undead player's and undead NPC's goals are to try to kill off the human players as well as get into the town and kill off the human townsfolk. While some townfolk in town will respawn over a long period of time, the human's will want to keep their NPCs alive for a few reasons.

Human NPCs, if they survive, over time will occasionally drop loot into "Stockpiles" around town. These stockpiles are essentially "one-way" banks for players, meaning players can open them and withdraw items from them, but are not allowed to add any items to the container. While there are multiple stockpile locations in UOACZ, they all open the same "bank" container for that player which has the same set of items for the player (similar to opening your bank from different towns: it's still just one container accessable from multiple locations).

When an NPC drops an item into stockpiles, they drop one into every account's stockpile. For instance, if a human npc baker survives for a while, they may randomly drop baked bread into every stockpile, meaning each player can access their stockpile and pull out a piece of baked bread. NPC miners or NPC lumberjacks in town may drop some ingots or boards for players to access. NPC priests may drop minor relics that restore small amount of humanity (see the video for examples of the humanity stat).

Keeping NPC militia alive will also be helpful as they will help in the defense of the city against the undead as well as attack human players who go rogue and start attacking other players (we have an "Infamy" system to track and manage "evil" human players).

The Wilderness
    Undead players and undead NPCs spawn out in the wilderness. While their goal is to get into the player's town and kill all the human players / npcs, there are also stuff out in the wilderness to do. Some human NPC "wanderers" will spawn out in the wilderness and undead players gain points for hunting and killing them, as well as potentially earning upgrade tokens on them as loot.

Human players will want to head out into the Wilderness and try to rescue and return these wanderers, as they will earn items and points for doing so, as well as increase the number of NPCs in town (who can then in turn add more items to the stockpile).

Undead NPCs and players that attack wildlife may potentially "corrupt" them, turning them into evil versions of the creature (and earning score points by doing so).

There will also be various "undead strongholds" where large numbers of undead will spawn. The strongholds may have relics and other items that undead players will want to defend, and human players will want to break into and loot (getting potential artifacts / magic gear /etc).

Anyhooo...
    So those are the basics for now: there's a lot more stuff going on and being added, but that's the basic summary of what to expect. I'll be posting more detailed write ups of ruleset information, lists for Human / Undead upgrades / abilities and other stuff shortly.

We'll definitely be wanting to test this out with a large number of players, so we'll be asking for volunteers to offer their services pretty soon here :p

2. Fenix

Fenix Expert

Memememe

3. Parthalas

Parthalas Master

Let me know when the sign up starts. Looking forward to try something difference.

4. Sacksquatch

Sacksquatch Apprentice

Damn this looks awesome!

5. Pole

Pole Grand Master

I'm like a bloodhound when it comes to sniffing out your shitcode, Luthius. Contact me if my testing services are needed. :)

6. Pole

Pole Grand Master

To start off the list, this is a gross misrepresentation of the word 'brief'

[​IMG]

<3

7. Chupac

Chupac Grand Master

I'd volunteer, looks fun!

8. Luthius

Luthius Guest

Heh, well I thought it was going to be brief when I started recording it, and then realized a little while into it that I might as well cover most of the basics. Also I was recording it up until 5am on a workday, so I figured, fuck it :p

9. Pole

Pole Grand Master

I have not watch all of your movie yet, but I just skimmed through your post and it seems brutally complex. What, if any, features go back to the roots of UOZ 1 or 2? IE Food to stay alive? purification of food? camping/bedrolls to log out? tents for player housing? zombie's bleeding to death/cannot log out? delete char upon final death?

10. Luthius

Luthius Guest

Aside from your standard Str/Dex/Int and Skills, you have 4 stats as a human which start out at 100 in each session (with Infamy being the exception, as explained below).

Hunger
    Drops every 5 minutes. If you go below 75 hunger, your Stats are each dropped by 1% for each missing point of hunger.
    If you hit 0 hunger, you lose 40 humanity and die. Each food to restore hunger.

Thirst

Drops every 5 minutes. If you go below 75 thirst, your Skills are each dropped by 1% for each missing point of hunger.
    If you hit 0 thirst, you lose 40 humanity and die. Drink liquids to restore hunger.

Humanity
    When this hits 0, you convert from Human to Undead.
    You'll lose humanity when you eat uncooked meat, when you kill other human players, when you kill human NPCs.
    You'll also lose humanity when you die (-10 when killed by a human player, -20 when killed by creatures, -40 when starving / dying of thirst).
    Somewhat hard to restore humanity, but some rare items might do it.

Infamy
    When you kill other human players and human NPCs, you'll lose Infamy.
    When you get down below 25 Infamy, Human NPC militia will attack you on sight. Your character will also flag as orange to other players.
    Infamy carries over from each UOACZ session to the next, but you regain 50 Infamy each session. So if you kill some players one session and get down to 0 Infamy, the next UOACZ session you'll be at 50 Infamy and fairly close to being attackable by militia, so its up to you if you want to kill players again or play nice that session and be back up to 100 Infamy on the upcoming session (since you regain 50 each time).

-----------------------

Players will be able to die as a human several times in this system, and will resurrect at a random place in town afterwards.
    However, if you hit 0 humanity, that's when your time as a human is over and you then convert over to the undead side.

The Humanity / Infamy system allows players to kill other human players / human NPCs a few times, but they will eventually be punished for it a little bit (via losing humanity and eventually being attacked by NPC militia). So the system ideally won't just be one huge guild killing all the other players non-stop, which is only fun for a couple of people and a huge pain in the ass for everyone else. But there definitely will be PvP happening in this system in addition to players banding together to try to keep the town safe from the invading Undead players / Undead NPCs as well as any undead that spawn in the town.

11. Luthius

Luthius Guest

I'm not sure yet about tents in the wilderness, but I have a system set up that lets players build walls / terrain / defensive structures like fences / cannons / boiling oil cauldrons, and other stuff, so I could potentially have players be able to build tents, although I'd probably want to limit the locations they could be placed in and they'd have to have storage limits (part of the "risk" of the system is that you can't bank all your gear)

12. Pole

Pole Grand Master

Will the map be reduced? I thought if UOZ3 ever happened, that it should take place on Verity (Moonglow) Isle. Some story line to jump from would be similar to 28 Days Later, something went wrong with Blackthorne's animal testing at the zoo. :D

Legacy likes this.
  13. Abigor

Abigor Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Right now the plan is to have several maps that we can rotate through, ranging from small, medium, to large.

14. Luthius

Luthius Guest

Yeah I have the system set up so we can pretty easily rotate the maps out and try the system in a variety of different maps.

In the video I'm using the Malas facet with the town of Umbra: it works pretty well because its a large circular town (and evil-themed) with two bridges leading out of town into a surrounding wilderness. So it works perfectly for surrounding the town with breakable stone walls / forts and having secondary wooden palisades outside of that, and then lots of areas for players to forage / scavenge in the wilderness.

15. Abigor

Abigor Administrator Staff Member Administrator

I must say, I spent 3 hours this morning testing out the Alpha stuff we have in right now. The potential is vast with this system. I was mostly just doing scavenging, but I'll be damned if that wasn't fun while trying to dodge the swarms of skeletons and zombies that came after me.

16. revolutionary

revolutionary Journeyman

i CAN NOT wait!

17. Kaedius

Kaedius Novice

Sounds amazing! I just have a tiny nitpick about the use of Infamy. Shouldn't you gain Infamy if it's detrimental, instead of losing it? We all start infamous, and lose infamy by doing evil deeds?

I know you're probably going for consistency with the losing points part, so maybe call it Honor or something instead? That way losing it by killing players makes more sense and gaining honor could be a thing. And it's already a virtue in UO to boot!

Not a big deal but bugs me a little. sorry.

18. Luthius

Luthius Guest

Sure, I could call it Reputation or something :p

19. ArborTheTree

ArborTheTree Apprentice

20. Ancient Tamer

Ancient Tamer Neophyte

as always im impressed by your mechanic on this shard cant wait this looks amazing