Expansion Info Update

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Luthius, Jun 22, 2015.

1. Luthius

Luthius Guest

General Expansion Info Update:
    We're still knocking out testing on the expansion stuff, and trying to wrap things up on it (there's an awful lot of stuff in there).

Right now with the expansion we have a handful of new items that will benefit from having 100+ crafting skill. We're still balancing the numbers on them, but I'm leaning currently to having them each be ranged from 80 min to 120 max skill, meaning you can technically try to craft them at 80 skill but will usually fail, you can craft them at 100 but have a moderate chance of failing, and will always succeed at 120 skill.

The reason you would want to raise your crafting skill up higher than 100, would be that each of those crafting items will take some normal materials (stuff like scrolls, boards, ingots, etc) but they will also each take one or two of 12 new "Crafting Components" (stuff like Cockatrice Eggs, Creepervines, Ghoul Hide, Troll Fat) we're introducing as uncommon loot on monsters, treasure chests, ship hold's, influence lottery tickets, and a few other sources. Since these crafting components are in a limited supply compared to other materials, you would probably not want to craft those items with a skill level that has a significant chance of losing those uncommon crafting materials to failure, and you would likely want to boost your crafting skill above 100 grinding up skill doing something like cooking fish steaks. We're making sure each crafting skill will have a grindable crafting item like raw fish steaks or lockpicks that can now be grinded up to 120 skill.

At the moment, here's what we have for those items:

Inscription Skill: Ancient Mystery Scroll (will be previewed shortly)
    Carpentry Skill: Camping Firepit
    Cooking Skill: Faint Lure, Potent Lure, Irresistible Lure
    Tailoring Skill: Spidersilk Fishing Net
    Tinkering Skill: Avalanche Trap, Sunburst Trap, Razor Saw Trap, Massive Spike Trap, Web Trap, Gust Trap, Poison Gas Trap, Bleeding Spike Trap

For Blacksmithing, it's not exactly an item per se, but I created a new ore type called Lunite that is a nice dark purple color, and it only spawns in dungeons. Lunite Ore Formations are pretty very rare (each likely spawning maybe once every 4-7 days), and they manifest as actual blue-purple rock formations that players can actually see and will double click on to harvest. Players can try to harvest them by simply hitting them with weapons, however this will take quite a while to accomplish. If a player uses a pickaxe on it, it speeds up the process a little bit, and if the player has mining skill on top of that, it will speed up the harvesting process much, much further. Lunite Ore gear is one level higher than Valorite for stats purposes, but uses Valorite skill levels for smelting / crafting / whatnot. The ore amount from each rock formation will be very small, so the armor will ultimately be pretty rare: it's a really cool color though.

Technically it's also not Blacksmithing per se either, but I also rebuilt the Dungeon Armor system, created 5 new Dungeon Armor types, rebalanced the existing 4 Armor types, and unlocked the ability for players to start upgrading their armor all the way up to tier 4. Players will use a Dungeon Armor Upgrade Hammer to upgrade a single piece of armor 1 to the next tier, and these hammers will drop in the same places players normally get Dungeon Armor, with a few possible rare instances of getting hammers from events, the Influence Lottery as rewards, and a few other spots. A player wearing Dungeon Armor with multiple tiers will get the benefit of the lowest full tier: i.e. a player wearing 5 pieces of tier 2 and 1 piece of tier 3 will be treated as tier 2. Upgrading the tier does have a "cost" though: each tier upgrade on a piece of armor reduces its maximum number of blessed charges, meaning high level dungeon armor tiered suits will be somewhat inefficient when it comes to recharging them with arcane dust to offset their abilities + bonuses. Players can also now double click on any piece of Dungeon Armor to get a gump showing off how the full suit looks and all the stats / abilities bonuses for that armor at the piece's tier.

We might change the details on the inidividual armors a bit before release, but here's what we're currently going with:
    The incremental numbers in commas is the value at each tier.
    Also of note: these benefits never apply to anything PvP related and we have implemented a PvP timer so that if a player has been in any form of PvP within the last 5 minutes, they receive no benefit from their dungeon armor's AR, bonuses, or abilities.

Deceit
    Chance of Inflicting a "Hex" on Melee Attack: 12.5%, 15%, 17.5%, 20%
    Chance of Inflicting a "Hex" on Being Hit By Melee Attack: 12.5%, 15%, 17.5%, 20%
    Note: Hex is a 30 second duration 25% casting/attack slowdown, 20% wrestling debuff, and 33% armor pierce. It is independent of Discordance, as we don't want this armor to conflict with ongoing Discordance effects. It does, however, have the same 1/5th effect reduction on large scale monsters / bosses that Discordance has, to prevent it from being too powerful on bosses and high level creatures.

Destard
    Melee Damage Received Reduction: 12.5%, 15%, 17.5%, 20%
    Spell Damage Received Reduction: 12.5%, 15%, 17.5%, 20%
    Bandage Self Timer Reduction: -2.5s, -3s, -3.5s, -4s

Hythloth
    Ignores Dex Penalties
    Melee Damage Inflicted Bonus: 12.5%, 15%, 17.5%, 20%
    Special Weapon Attack Chance Bonus: 5%, 6%, 7%, 8%

Shame
    Full Meditation Allowed
    Spell Damage Inflicted Bonus: 20%, 25%, 30%, 35%
    Chance to Cast Spell at 50% Mana Cost: 20%, 25%, 30%, 35%

Covetous
    Poison Damage Bonus: 22.5%, 25%, 27.5%, 30%
    Chance to Cast Poison / Poison Field with 0 Mana Cost: 20%, 25%, 30%, 35%
    Chance to Inflict Weapon Poison with No Charge Spent: 22.5%, 25%, 27.5%, 30%

Wrong
    No Dex Penalties
    Bonus Stealth Steps: 5, 6, 7, 8
    Backstab Damage Bonus: 25%, 30%, 35%, 40%
    Stealth Now Leaves Footprints (This is to make them not very effective for potential PKing as an offset for bonus steps)

Despise
    Provoked Creature Damage Bonus: 22.5%, 25%, 27.5%, 30%
    Chance to Ignore Peacemaking Breakage: 35%, 40%, 45%, 50%
    Discordance Effect Bonus: 5%, 6%, 7%, 8%

Ice
    Breath Damage Received Reduction: 45%, 50%, 55%, 60%
    Bleed Damage Received Reduction: 45%, 50%, 55%, 60%
    Poison Damage Received Reduction: 45%, 50%, 55%, 60%
    Disease Damage Received Reduction: 45%, 50%, 55%, 60%
    Bandage Through Poison Healing Amount: 45%, 50%, 55%, 60%

Monster Special Effect Avoidance Chance: 45%, 50%, 55%, 60%

Fire
    Breath Damage Received Reduction: 45%, 50%, 55%, 60%
    Flamestrike on Melee Attack Chance: 7.5%, 10%, 12.5%, 15%
    Flamestrike on Being Hit by Melee Attack Chance: 7.5%, 10%, 12.5%, 15%

Recently I added two new ship themes (Derelict and Treasure) that will be added to the list of possible rare loot options for NPC ship holds. I've also added about 15 or so new ship paint colors that are purchasable from the donation shop.

I've also created Player Score Stones, that will be in each town, so players can view their Lifetime, Last Month, and Current Month scores for Earning Platinum, Dread Coins, and Doubloons and see how they compare to other players in their "field".

Dread Coin amounts for kills have been significantly boosted and several of the restrictions on them, such as getting reduced amounts if being part of a group of pks, have been removed. Conversely, paladins will also be earning a lot more platinum for killing pks, as the platinum they earn is directly tied to how much Dread Coin that pk has earned.

Delceri and I have finalized the content for a big, persistent summer event coming up, and this content will be added with the expansion (and likely turned on fairly shortly afterwards).

I'm also finishing up work on an Ocean Boss and will be creating an Ocean Champ pretty soon here too.
    Additionally, we're going to try to rotate in some variations of some of the bosses from the Khaldun events, that have a bunch of revisions and ability updates, as some new Dungeon and Champ bosses for our dungeons.

When I get home in the evening I'll put together a preview video for the Ancient Mystery system, Lunite Ore, new Crafting Components, the Dungeon Armor overhaul, and a bunch of other things we haven't previewed yet or introduced so far.

2. VioletBard

VioletBard Expert

Sounds like fun, how have you guys accounted for dungeon armor drops now when there are so many sets?

It will be very hard to get a full set of anything...

Needs more dungeon bosses?

On a side note, I think it'd not be unreasonable to also include a skill limit above 100 to craft the new stuff? It's an opportunity to increase the value of >100 skill, and as you say, players will want to have it higher anyways.

Also I'm curious, for which circumstance did you create the tinker traps?

For the new ore, I think only GM mining + should be able to collect it. Higher chance at 120, or faster collect.

Some ideas what to use the new ore for:
    - Crafting component of house paint (shadow, copper, dull copper, only with classic stone houses).
    - Create a lunar forge (which takes like 500-1000 ingots?) which when used increases the chance of a succesful use of arcane hammers (and the new dungeon armor upgrade hammer)

Last edited: Jun 22, 2015
  3. Luthius

Luthius Guest

Yeah I was anticipating the introduction of a handful of new dungeon bosses + the ocean boss would balance out the increased random range of dungeon armors, but we can adjust things if we find things become too difficult to get a full set.

I've been going back in forth on whether the new items should have a minimum requirement of 100+ skill, but if we did make them have a range of 100-120, that would mean that even at 105 or 110 skill, you would still fail fairly frequently when crafting them, which obviously would be fairly annoying considering they take unique components to craft.

The tinker traps each take 1 particular crafting component to make (plus some boards and ingots), and there's a fairly wide variety of uses for them, although I'd say their best utility is for either damage or crowd control on a large group of monsters. Anything where a large number of monsters spawn at once would be a good spot to drop one of those things down to get a boost on things: so scenarios like dungeon mini-champ sequentials, major bosses spawning "adds", setting them up near treasure map chests.

We don't have any handling set up currently for them to such, but we could very easily also have them in a limited capacity be set up for town defense during OCB.

As for the Lunite ore, I did consider the 100 mining requirement, but then again, I don't know how many players who play as miners actively would ever venture into dungeons or would ever find out about the ore formations spawning (players who harvest for a living rarely go into dungeons), so I didn't wasn't sure if I wanted to restrict things to that. I did, though, set the scaling so that if a player with just a normal weapon would try to harvest the ore, it would take an awful long time to do it (I think like 15-20 minutes at least), so you most definitely would want to go get a pickaxe and probably a character of your own that has at minimum 50-75 mining skill to make any reasonable progress harvesting the stuff.

That lunar forge thing sounds cool (I've been considering something kinda similar to that but wasnt sure what the utility of it was going to be). I'd have to check and see what Hueing a House would look like, since it Hues everything including the door. Could be a cool idea though.

4. VioletBard

VioletBard Expert

I think it'd draw the miners out to the dungeons, I already have 2x GM miners and one with stealth. It adds some excitement to the gathering people.

But the way you put it, 20 minutes to harvest without mining skill, doesn't sound too bad either. I mean a character with 50-75 mining is pretty much a miner right, who carries that on their template as a side (just in case)? :)

I'd love to see a round of overworld champs, maybe at Yew Crypts, at that spooky tree in Yew and that large orc fortress somewhere north of Britain. Ocean boss sounds fun as well.

Isn't there some way around having the crafting req > 100 and still having the fail chance low? I mean the chance at 100.1 could be 50% then scale to 95% at 120?

It seems like something worth trying to work around, I mean, this sounds a lot like refining the end-game and it seems like an opportunity missed otherwise

Yea the hues should probably be restricted to stone buildings, since the other ones look pretty bad. Maybe mable ones too? Maybe house paint also crafted by 120 cooking - ties in another crafting skill.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2015
  5. Pole

Pole Grand Master

Any spoilers for what's to come for 120 cartography? My mapper is 7x, and all seven of the skills I deem necessary to using the character now. This makes me a bit reluctant to drop anything but meditation, which will have the most minimal impact on how I use the character.

As for powerscrolls, I'm sure most of us are aware of how it worked on OSI, when gaining over 100 in a skill from a powerscroll, the skill cap raised to 720. With all of the skills we have powerscrolls available for, this could be something worth looking into, and since none of these skills are PvP related, I don't see how it could be harmful at all.

6. Luthius

Luthius Guest

Yeah we'll very likely do another round of updates after the expansion here that exclusively focuses on 100+ skills / powerscrolls utility. Admittedly even with the expansion stuff I think there's a lot more work to be done to make some of these powerscroll skills worth anything, and I absolutely want to get those things worth something.

After the expansion goes like, I'm going to be doing a revision of all the current bosses to make them more fun, and in some cases more challenging, and I think adding couple of outdoor world bosses are a good idea. I think Pole suggested a few weeks back about the idea of a ore golem near the Minoc mines, and that's something I'd definitely like to add on top of a couple of other outdoor champs I've been kicking around.

We can definitely discuss the expanding skill cap for powerscroll skills, maybe having the player first acquire Master Power Scrolls or something that each boost your skill cap by like 4 points, allowing for room for those non-PvP skill scrolls or something. Animal Taming / Animal Lore would have to be an additional discussion in that context, as thats one of hte few powerscroll skills that has any pvp applications to it. But having more ways for players to grow their character, as long as it stays balanced and doesn't affect PvP balance at all, I could definitely be down for it and at the very least, discuss the crap out of it :p

I can also probably create a workaround potentially for some of those crafting 100-120 skill range items to get them to have the minimums we want but still not be atrociously harsh in terms of success rates and required powerscroll minimums.

7. Luthius

Luthius Guest

Oh! And yeah, spoiler alert, the Ancient Mystery Scrolls item takes advantage of 95+ Forensic Eval and 95+ Cartographry (you dont need them necessarily on the same character though). I'll explain it in a bit in my video later, but having a 120 Cartography character will have definite value for the item. You can still use carto on it for 100 skill, but you'll be getting much, much better success rates with 120 carto.

8. VioletBard

VioletBard Expert

Side note, I'd love for master scrolls to be tied in with the mystery scroll.

Right now, a lot of master scrolls are useless, there are way too many.

Maybe master scrolls can be used as a resource, 1 discovery per 40 charge or so, possibly replace finished SOS or finished TMaps?

Skull Island would be a great spot to put a pirate king champ spawn too, and make the island no-recall so you have to go there by ship.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2015
    W33D likes this.
  9. Luthius

Luthius Guest

That's a good idea, the master scroll thing: I think I might add that in.

Yup, I have an event planned for Skull Island and was planning on it becoming a reoccurring sequential after the event resolves.

Fenix likes this.
  10. Kalanmyr

Kalanmyr Journeyman

Great additions. Thanks for the hard work Staff :)

11. W33D

W33D Journeyman

<~~~~~~~~ still waiting on info about new donations :p

12. Legacy

Legacy Elder

confirmed yesterday new donation items were coming with patch.

any word on how far away the patch is from going active?

13. W33D

W33D Journeyman

I just can't wait to see these items ;p. Been saving sooooo long

14. Luthius

Luthius Guest

I'm hoping ideally by next weekend. I've been adding stuff that folks have been requesting on the forums into it, which has slowed things down a little bit (plus adding the ocean boss), but I'm thinking next weekend should be pretty achievable.

W33D and Kaedius like this.
  15. Luthius

Luthius Guest

To clarify, I think that's when we might be done testing, roughly: a bunch of staff are going to be gone this next weekend for the holiday break, so implementation onto the live server might be a little later than that, plus we'll also want to do a marketing push for this thing too.

But its just about done and shaping up pretty nicely :p If anyone wants to hop on to our test center in a few days here and mess around with some stuff (ideally trying to break them in weird ways we might not have thought up so far) you should message Abigor and we can get you set up to hop around!

16. Luthius

Luthius Guest

Ocean Boss: The Deep One

Ocean Boss Preview

Just a preview I recorded last night to get a feel for what the new ocean boss will look / act like. Had a bit of a recording issue about 5 minutes into my first recording, hence why there's two instances of the boss fight in the video: the second being conducted with a staff-access level character to cheat things a bit to show off the boss effects. You can also see the boss while hidden as a Admin character in the second half of the video when it submerges, which you won't be able to do as a player normally (looks grey colored, similar to if you have it targeted).

Also of note: the boss won't be spawning near Buccaneer's Den like in the video, as that was simply for testing purposes. It will be on a spawn timer similar to normal bosses, and will have it's own unique little area in the middle of the ocean somewhere. I'll be making a few minor aesthetic tweaks to some of the abilities / effects on it, but this is more or less the basic handling on it.

VioletBard likes this.
  17. Jayann

Jayann Adept

So are these little dudes that are your pets really only 1 follower slot each?

18. Fenix

Fenix Expert

theres different levels of them, all the way up to a 5 follow slot

19. VioletBard

VioletBard Expert

I think it's perfect that it's in bucs, because that means everyone'll be gray!

Just make sure it can't be scummed by dragging it to the shore and killing it from land.

20. Pole

Pole Grand Master

SHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! God damnit!