Expansion Content Comprehensive List

Discussion in 'Patch Notes' started by Luthius, Jun 29, 2015.

1. Luthius

Luthius Guest

The Deceit/Hythloth system was really unintuitive and kind of a pain in the ass to do, and honestly really only showed how good of a PvM-er you are and had nothing to do with actually being a paladin and killing red players. Plus there was a bit of a shortage of paladins on UOAC1, so I implemented something that would have less of a barrier to entry for paladins this time around if people wanted to become one.

The new offset to being a paladin, however, was initially set to be having a 30 minute dungeon-triggered statloss that fires off anytime the paladin dies (from monsters, blue players, etc) as well as having a 120 minute dungeon-triggered statloss that fires off if the paladin is killed by a red. So while it would be easier to become a paladin, the offset would mean that if you died while farming, it might be a bit difficult for a bit getting back to your corpse. I thought this would be a fair trade off for the chance to be able to stat-pks + earn platinum, but folks didn't seem to care much for the idea so the 30 minute any death related dungeon-statloss aspect of paladins got removed, and the 120 minute pk-death dungeon-statloss became a 60 minute timer.

Regarding the paladin probabation stuff: you now have to commit a murder in order to officially get kicked out of the paladin guild; everything else is varying lengths of probation where you still technically count as a paladin for the purposes of being able to still wear paladin stuff, but your damage doesn't count in PvP as "paladin damage" for the purposes of killing pks and earning platinum.

2. Kalanmyr

Kalanmyr Journeyman

I lost pally status on IPY2 twice weekly, and still loved the paladin quest. It was a pain in the ass to do, because you had to SAIL to the islands. This was one of the best things about IPY2, and I'm sad it's not in place here, especially with the pirating thing being pretty good. It would make the waterways between Deceit/Hythloth actually traveled by players, instead of pirating being a 100% isolated PvM thing. It would also make it so people might actually lose their boats, which means there is actually a market for boats to be built and sold. I thought it was a cool element, but I think I've already made it known that I'm not a huge fan of recall when it comes to dungeons.

Manz likes this.
  3. Mongbatman

Mongbatman Guest

I'll test this as soon as I have a chance. I know for sure that committing a murder removed you from the order permanently in the past, as I did this successfully with my own characters, but I might have done it before the most recent round of changes to the probation system and maybe something got shitcoded.

The requirements to complete the paladin quest were removed alongside the removal of most of the remaining paladin special abilities and the addition of penalties when paladins were killed by murderers (The addition of risk and the removal of some of the rewards made the entrance quest less useful).

Adding it back could be looked at, but when we last audited, the number of active murderer characters on the shard significantly outnumbered the number of active paladin characters. If that's still the case, I think we'd be less inclined to make paladin entry more difficult if the numbers are already heavily favoring murderers.

Abbot also mentioned some concern about Paladins in militia and double stat loss. I'm not really sure what he's talking about, but if he wants to explain that concern further I'll listen.

4. Abbot

Abbot Adept

I quit once and never returned. You should start patching in stuff that will bring players back instead of losing them. Your views are one sided and you know it.

Gave up on UO and I will most likely never return, especially if they have a dev like Luthius that tries to find any way to trammelize the server, well what did I expect to see happen, the server is being ran by YEW guild members.

Monbatman, what I mean is that the pk/paladin system is total bullshit.

Paladin system - Turn in a head, bam you're a paladin and ANYONE can be one even a militia member. PK kills a Paladin and he gets TEMPORARY stat loss for 30 mins tops or something can't remember but it's crap.

PK system - A PK with 100 kills , he/she dies to a Paladin and has to shovel out 50k, then afterwards he/she is on a 'penace timer' (Luthius' cancer system) and cannot pk for another 5 hours. These penalties are ridiculous. I would of thought you guys would have realized this system was bogus when you have the same PKs on the Restitution board since launch.

FREE FIX - Temporary stat loss, max stat loss 12 - 24 hours. Do away with PERMA stat.

Just wanted to answer the questions and give a little tips from a true pvper's prospective.

P.S. Sorry for bashing the server yous guys like playing, they are only my opinions and probably falling on deaf ears yet again. Have fun everyone.

5. Dirk Smallwood

Dirk Smallwood Expert

this is the kind of shitty statements you guys make thats just not acceptable as a staff team.

Pole likes this.
  6. Legacy

Legacy Elder

I typed a response like 4 times to this, but decided to stay out of it.

Fenix likes this.
  7. Sacksquatch

Sacksquatch Apprentice

On OSI, I remember macroing for two fucking weeks in a house as a ghost to avoid stat loss. We got it made compared to that, and we gonna call it Trammel? On what fucking planet? You don't even need to be online during your penance..and the max is what 12 hours according to wiki? Trammel... Trammel for Reds.. Have we forgotten?

You don't have other characters you can play for 12 hours? Get some sleep? Find a job?

What's that dude even talking about "PERMA stat" for? We don't even have that shit.. His "FREE FIX" is essentially what we already have (aside from restitution) and he quit?

HOLD MY WEAVE!!!

Last edited: Jul 9, 2015
    Pole and Fenix like this.
  8. Luthius

Luthius Guest

To address Abbot's concerns, which we debated throughly during beta and made decisions based upon said debates:

Paladin Militia Members
    I don't see how this is an issue, since how often would you ever have a character in a town militia who is red and doing OCB? Its an overlap that really doesn't happen.

Restitution Costs
    If you get 100 kills, like Abbot suggests, you've already earned a 20% kill streak reduction to your ress costs.
    If you chop your own PK down with your own paladin (on a different account) or if you have killed the paladin who eventually gets you at least once before, you earn another 20% reduction to your ress costs. It's rediculously easy to chop your own pk down if you are remotely responsible.
    If your town bonus is Town of Reprieve, that's another 10% reduction bonus.
    If you take an OPTIONAL skill loss of 5%, 10%, or 20%, you earn another 10%, 20%, or 40% respective reduction bonus.

Without even taking any statloss, at 100 kills your cost per kill if you are even remotely smart should be reduced by 40-50% down to 250-300 gold per kill. Which is comically low, seeing as even dexers probably have 250 gold worth of reagents alone on them. Even newbies should have 250 gold on them. So that's killing 100 people x 250 gold = 25000 gold. Which most players can probably farm in about an hour or so. To reiterate, you can farm and pay off several days worth of pking in about an hour of farming, and that's assuming you are looting NOTHING from the corpses of players you kill, which is also unlikely. In most cases, you can probably kill a handful of people who alone will pay for an entire 100 kill streak worth of ress costs.

But if you opt to take 10% skill loss, and simply leave your character macroing over night for a day or two, that drops it down another 20% to 150-200 gold per kill. So we are down to 100 x 150 gold = 15000 gold.

Temp Statloss (Abbot's Suggestion)
    This was debated during beta, the idea to introduce temp statloss for 2-24 hours as the penalty for pking. The reason this doesn't work, is players have 3 accounts. After a few months, they have 5-15 characters, most nearly complete pvp-wise. If temp-statloss is the only penalty for pking, I can pk with one character, get paladin whacked, and then switch over to 4-14 other characters while I wait out the temp statloss on my pk. Basically 95% of the PK player base who makes multiple characters can pk pretty much nonstop, and by rotating characters, never have to pay a single penalty for doing so or even stop pking at all. That's why we elected to do a combination of targeted, dungeon-entering statloss and reduced kill costs.

----

Also most of those pks still on the restitution board that Abbot mentioned were players who were trying to macro kill counts and just didn't delete their character aftewards.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2015
  9. Luthius

Luthius Guest

Updates to the Upcoming Expansion Stuff (will be added into the first page's Comprehensive List)

- Ancient Mystery Scroll locations have now been decorated

[​IMG]
    An Ancient Mystery Location

Other Mystery Locations
    http://imgur.com/a/pZ7Gv#0

- Treasure Pile House Addons have been added to Ancient Mystery loot tables. Players are guaranteed a Small Pile, and based on luck, may receive Medium, Large, or Huge Treasure Piles

[​IMG]
    A Huge Treasure Pile Addon

Other Treasure Piles
    http://imgur.com/a/5jJAS#0

- Revised the "Fountain" Ancient Mystery spawn creatures a bit

- Players can now use Forensic Eval on Master Spell Scrolls to try to convert them into Researched Master Scrolls. Researched Master Scrolls can be added to an Ancient Mystery Scroll similar to adding Research Materials (the success rate is much lower for these however than for Research Materials).

- The first time a player with at least 100 Begging and 100 Camping accesses an Influence Marker, they are given a free Henchmen Recruitment Deed in their bank box.

- Players now will "stable" their henchmen at innkeepers in towns similar to stabling animals at animal trainers. Players can additionally say "I wish to house" to an Innkeeper to 'stable" henchmen" in addition to the normal commands

- Redid old handling on Massive Breath Attacks (fixed some distance-based delays)

- Lunite Ore Formations hit points have been doubled

- New characters will now start with 50 gold (non-newbied)

- New characters will now start with a newbied pair of scissors

- New characters will now start with a Training Credit Deed worth 300 gold. Training Credit Deeds can be dropped onto NPCs for skill training in the place of gold

- Camping Firepits now are no longer placed on the ground and activated: instead, players double click them in their backpack and target the ground, which places an "copy" of the firepit on the ground that immediately ignites (the master firepit stays in the player's pack and loses a charge). Any player that picks up the "copy" firepit off the ground or double clicks it, extinguishes that firepit instance.

- Camping Firepit regen rates have been boosted

- Tinker Traps can now be retrieved by their owner before their expiration by double clicking on the trap.

- Rebuilt the handling on NPC boats to allow support for unique NPC boats with new Outfitting Upgrades and Ship Epic Abilities

- Added Incognito Potion to donation shop (lasts 5 minutes)

- Added Monstrous Polymorph Potion to donation shop (grants random monster body for 5 minutes, but deactivates during PvP)

- Added Potion Keg Combination Deeds to the donation shop (combines the capacity of two existing potion kegs). Can be stacked indefinitely.

- Added Potion Barrel Conversion Deeds to the donation shop. Can be used to turn a potion keg with 500 capacity or more into a Potion Barrel (same handling as keg, but larger looking)

- Added "An An Corp Supporpter Fancy Dress" and "An An Corp Supporpter Fancy Shirt" to the donation shop. Spelling error is intentional :p

- Added Player Home Bulletin Board to donation shop. Locked down message board similar to one found at inns.

- Gold Investments made at Influence Markers (for the Influence System) will be added to the treasury of the town the marker resides in

- Added Large Display Cases, Medium Display Cases, Large Bench (church pew), Large Hide Rack Addons to the Influence Lottery

- Added Bar Top Glass Mugs, Bar Top Goblets, Small Display Case, Hide Rack to the Influence Lottery

- The Deep One Ocean Boss will now always have a ship upgrade deed of some type (Cannon Metal, Outfitting, Epic Ability, New Theme) as loot

- Ship Repair Tools can no longer be spammed without delay outside of combat (but will still have it's normal non-combat 15 second cooldown)

- Ship Upgrade Deeds have had their doubloon costs rebalanced as so:

Passive Ability Upgrade Deed = 100 doubloons base cost
    Active Ability Upgrade Deed = 200 doubloons base cost
    Paint Upgrade Deed = 300 doubloons base cost (Donation Shop Boat Paints have no Doubloon Cost still though)
    Theme Upgrade Deed = 500 doubloons base cost
    Cannon Metal Upgrade Deed = 750 doubloons base cost
    Epic Ability Upgrade Deed = 1000 doubloons base cost
    Treasure Theme Upgrade Deed = 1000 doubloons base cost
    Outfitting Upgrade Deed = 2000 doubloons base cost

Reminder: Ship Upgrade Installation Cost = Doubloon Base Cost * Ship Level
    [ where a Small Boat is Ship Level 1 and a Galleon is Ship Level 5 ]

- Added the Ocean's Bounty Fishing Pole to pirate vendor. Black color, throws a bobber out with it's cast, and has an extra little sound for casting.

Dirk Smallwood likes this.
  10. VioletBard

VioletBard Expert

Problem with militia members becoming paladin is that there will be way too many paladins, and takes away from how special these characters are. Also if I remember right, before, you couldn't even have a murder count on any character of that account.

I would never make a seperate char for a paladin, but I can easily just go and drop a murderer head on the paladin NPC and join up...

I think that suicide boxes should also be reinstated, that way, if PKs are given a way out of stat-loss (suicide), then the downsides can be a lot harsher.

11. Mongbatman

Mongbatman Guest

Currently, there are 7 murderers to every 4 paladins (paladins are outnumbered almost 2 to 1).

What do you feel is the ratio where the number of paladins becomes too many in comparison to the number of murderers?

12. VioletBard

VioletBard Expert

When every character who is in the militia could easily be a paladin without repercussions (who farms in dungeons with their militia char?), then it's way too easy to be a paladin, and it's too easy for reds to get statted.

So if I log in right now, I will see 7 murderes to every 4 paladins?... I'm pretty sure of active characters, the amount of paladins logged in at any moment outnumbers the number of murderers logged in.

Anyhow, that you pull up these numbers make me question, are you grounded in reality? Do you actually make decisions based on these ratios? You need to ask yourself what kind of characters these are, how active... I mean, there is a fairly obvious problem. I can instantly join the paladin order without problem if I would spot a PK... Being statted if you die is the default for reds...

13. Mongbatman

Mongbatman Guest

It's not completely without repercussion. As some militia members have found out, being a paladin makes you freely attackable by murderers. About 1/3 of the cities have turned off their guards which means that murderers can (and occasionally do) interfere with militia conquests (attacking those militia members who are also paladins).

A straight up hally-mage build only takes about a day to macro. I'm not convinced that simply restricting militia from joining would do much to change the numbers.

There are 8 paladins online right now. Of those 8, only 2 are militia members. The rest are a mix of PvM adventurers and PvP builds. Many are still levelling (they're not yet 700 capped).

This is probably true at the moment since we don't have any big red guilds left. If you went back in time closer to launch, the ratio was around 10 murderers actively playing online for every 1 paladin actively playing online.

We let active player counts inform our decision making, I don't know why we wouldn't.

Being "statted" is a misnomer, since you're not actually statted except by choice. It's more appropriate to say that you're taxed.

I do have at least one active red character (muaha). I haven't found that getting taxed by paladins is a common occurrence (it's only happened to me twice since shard opened), and I haven't found the tax I owe on death to be prohibitively high (with caveat that I do adventure as well).

Are you finding it different (are you getting put down by paladins every time you try to hunt on your red? Are you finding that you keep owing more than is reasonable for you to pay?

14. VioletBard

VioletBard Expert

Yes, 8 paladins online are way too many. 0 or 1 would be appropriate when there is no PK activity right now.

15. Mongbatman

Mongbatman Guest

That's more symptomatic of reds wandering away though. Quest or no quest, if the population of reds declines while the population of paladins does not, the ratios will shift.

Like I said though, looking at those paladins, only a few of them (maybe 3) look primed to actually go out and hunt reds. The rest are levelling chars who I think joined the order more for the security of hoping that a white name will scare off reds. Having the quest in place would be more likely to keep them from signing up in the first place (because they wouldn't survive as well on the bottom floors of Hythloth and Deceit), but it's not really the case now that you'd have 8 established characters coming for your head if you were out murdering.

None of this is to say that we can't still talk about the paladin quest and the role it could play, just saying I don't see it as the issue driving reds off the shard (at the time reds were leaving, they far outnumbered paladins even in online/logged-in player counts).

16. Hazzard

Hazzard Elder

The quest would ok with the new rules honestly. On uoac 1 iquit being a paladin after the 3rd time i accidentally healed a red instead of myelf while i was fighting them

17. Randy Bobandy

Randy Bobandy Neophyte

I'm all for reds being on the server, they are an important aspect of UO. Quality of reds is what I'm looking for though. 18 million shitty red gank squads rolling and res killing noobs is about the worse thing that could happen to this server at this point.

18. Parthalas

Parthalas Master

Are you saying that this shard is ran by these guys?
    [​IMG]

Last time I checked, the YEW guild doesn't even exist. Recently, people have claimed that this shard is ran by 2.0. I guess the biggest guild runs the shard then?

19. Legacy

Legacy Elder

No one claimed 2.0 runs anything, they were just the reason no one wanted to do the militia hour, because they could field 12 at the 9pm slot.

20. Pole

Pole Grand Master

Many tears were shed due to the supremacy of zerg.0.